If you thought acne is only caused on the skin turning it vulnerable, think again. Rare but complex acne occurs on the scalp leading to irritation, pain and flaky scalp. Scalp acne is camouflaged under your hair and often goes neglected until it turns severe. While brushing or scratching, it might get bruised and you come to locate it. As a treatment plan, people resort to scalp acne shampoos and home remedies to stop hair loss and irritation. Here you will get to know about the types, causes, treatment and preventive measures for scalp acne.
Types of Scalp Acne
This condition is generally classified into two types, mild and severe. Mild form is called Scalp folliculitis that breaks out due to deposition of dirt in follicles in the absence of cleaning and also due to too much stress. This sticks to the upper layer of the forehead line. Whereas, the more severe form is Necrotica miliaris, which is a painful condition giving rise to papules that become inflamed finally turning black. It leaves mark exactly like chicken pox.
Most Common Scalp Acne Causes
Painful breakouts on the scalp may result from a number of factors. Such conditions lead to itchy scalp which also puts you in embarrassing situations. Lets us skim through the causes that bring about scalp acne.
Hormonal Imbalance: Hormones play a great role in the general upkeep of health. Irregularities in it can cause over secretion of oil that blocks the pores and leading to dead skin build ups. In such conditions, bacteria grow incessantly and forms pimples that get filled with pus.
Dandruff: This is one of the common reasons for causing irritation in scalp which might cause redness, tingling and itchiness. It might cause breakouts by coming in contact of bacteria or mites.
Bacterial infection: Hair follicles are the main targets under this condition, which damages hair. It is referred to as folliculitis which causes the follicles to inflame and turn into dangerous itchy pimples.
Psoriasis: Patients suffering from this disease may get acne on their scalp which doesn’t limit to that region but also spreads over the neck and ears.
Worms: Scalp is affected by ringworm’s which damages scalp health. Fungal infections like these create patches and spots on the scalp leading to severe problems.
Lice: Head lice draws out the blood from follicles making them red and painful. It causes irritation and discomfort. This condition can cause pimples which may turn complicated.
Similarly, lack of nutrient-rich diet, regular cleaning of scalp, stress, improper use of cleaning agents and even sweating can clog pores that might result in such conditions.
Effective Scalp Acne Treatment
As we know already how disastrous it seems when it develops into pus filled acne, you should not delay and seek treatment as soon as it starts appearing. Scalp acne might provoke you to scratch which aggravates the condition, so stay away from it. Now read on for some of the treatment options available in this regard.
- In case you are inflicted with the mild form of acne, you can apply products containing salicylic acid but only on affected areas with cotton to avoid dryness. Before the treatment, make sure your scalp and hair is clean.
- Always keep your scalp clean and free of excess oil to get rid of the condition. Apply hypoallergenic shampoos which care for the scalp and reduce oil secretion which has the tendency to generate scalp acne.
- Another effective means to treat zits on the scalp is by using white vinegar. After applying it on cleansed and dry scalp, wash off with warm water.
- To keep excess oils on scalp at bay, you can even use baby powder which has no scent. This reduces the chances of breakouts as the region remains dry.
- If you are down with very severe condition, it is always advisable to consult a dermatologist for a better treatment.
- Topical creams can be applied to your scalp only under medical supervision to treat scalp zits.
- Just like the advantages of the products treating scalp acne, some disadvantages exist too. Excess or wrong use of certain substances can discolor your hair or make them dry, so be cautious.
Scalp Acne Prevention
We know prevention is better than care, yet often things like scalp zits go unnoticed till they tend to pose a severe problem causing pain and irritation. Even before mild incidences start occurring, proper care of the scalp is necessary to ward off scalp acne. It doesn’t simply imply the use of external care products for scalp but following a healthy lifestyle to prevent it from the roots. Here, are some ways to stop the occurrence of scalp zits from the very beginning.
Eating balanced diet, with less oil and fat is one of the primary ways to prevent an array of bodily ailments. This also applies to the scalp as it is not detached from the body. Proper food makes the body function properly which indirectly regulates sleep and mental bearing.
Stressful life leads to consumption of alcohol, cigarettes and beverages which doesn’t help in the long run. Excess oil is stopped from being secreted in the scalp with proper rest devoid of stress. This helps in keeping pores dirt and excess sebum free, preventing scalp acne hair loss to a great extent.
Regular scalp cleaning with medicated shampoo or products which doesn’t rob off the roots of its natural oils is also a must. Deep cleansing removes dirt and keeps scalp healthy.
It is better to stop using hair products laced with chemicals which harm the roots and cause scalp infections.
Since dandruff is a recurring problem which causes zits, you should consult a professional if required. Dandruff shampoos suitable for your hair are good remedies which offer full protection to your scalp that would otherwise become itchy.
Just like your skin, your scalp needs protection from harsh rays of the sun too. Protect it by using a sunscreen or at the most a hat before stepping out in the sun.
Drinking sufficient water all through the day helps in rejuvenating your system which helps in eliminating toxins from your body. Excess sebum is diluted with water and so it is one of the steps to prevent scalp acne.
Though conditioning is good for hair but over conditioning can cause hair to become too oily resulting in pimples. It would be best to regulate usage for limited periods to keep scalp oil-free.
Tips to eliminate scalp acne using natural remedies:
- For soothing itchy scalp and pain due to acne, use raw papaya juice.
- Turmeric is antiseptic and when it is combined with mint juice, it works wonders in the initial stages of skin acne.
- A very effective remedy is provided by blending cinnamon and honey into paste.
- To relieve your scalp from redness and pain, you can also apply tea tree oil.
- Buy fenugreek leaves, crush them and make a paste by mixing it with water. Apply it on the affected scalp and wash off with warm water after 10 minutes.
You can attain healthy locks only if you are healthy from within. While external care of scalp is mandatory, you cannot neglect the more essential care of your health by eating right and exercising. Take steps to control scalp infections before it becomes painful scalp acne, to curtail hair loss.