What is Manuka Honey Acne?
Amidst nature we find cures to numerous physical ailments. Since centuries, man has sought nature’s help for subsistence and even in this age of modernity we find ourselves indebted to nature in many ways. Manuka flowers, typical to New Zealand, are the rich preserve of honey, being made by the bees which feed on them. The honey derived from it is believed to be antibacterial and anti-fungal including several other properties, which help in treating skin problems. Acne is a common skin ailment which occurs due to many reasons, including clogged pores and bacterial infection. It is believed that the goodness of Manuka honey has the power to eradicate this menace to a great extent.
What are the components found in Manuka Honey?
This honey has huge proportions of antibacterial component known as Methylgylyoxal (MG). It is derived from dihydroxyacetone, which is heavily found in the nectar from the Manuka flowers. It is evident that higher levels of MG indicate greater antibiotic benefits from the honey. It graces the honey with healing power which is believed to heal wounds.
Producers of honey have devised a scale which validates pure manuka honey. UMF or Unique Manuka Factor is essentially the measure or mark of purity which if seen before buying, may guarantee purity. This mark basically signifies the levels of MG, which is known to be therapeutic. To judge the therapeutic aspect of the honey, UMF rating can be considered. Only those having a rating of 10 or above UMF are considered to be true manuka honey.
Let us skim through Manuka honey benefits
Manuka honey can be an excellent cure for skin troubles as it gently treats the skin without causing damage to the tissues. Some of the general benefits of manuka honey can be listed as:
- Its unique bacteria killing property makes it so viable. It works on varied bacterial growth and effectively eradicates it out of the skin.
- It can create a protective layer on skin which keeps skin supple. By gently moisturizing and protecting the skin, it can address much of the pigmentation issues.
- It has certain properties that do not irritate the skin. Hence it can be used to reduce inflammations and also gladly used on sensitive skin.
- It is beneficial in keeping impurities out of skin pores, keeping it squeaky clean to prevent breakouts.
- Apart from external use, it is also considered to be useful for treating intestinal problems.
- Studies are on to find its efficacy in alleviating gastrointestinal problems.
How Does honey help acne?
As we have deciphered, manuka honey’s embalming effect on skin soothes it and its antibacterial effects help in killing bacteria residing in the clogged pores. Bacterial attack in the skin-pores leads to fatal skin eruptions called acne which become tender and painful. Let us know how this honey helps in treating it:
- It has a low ph value, which makes it effective as a antibacterial agent.
- The osmotic effect of honey is responsible for eliminating bacteria.
- It is composed of plenty of hydrogen peroxide, which eases bacterial attack and lessens inflammation caused by acne.
- There is a belief that bacteria might tend to get stringer with application of manuka honey as it lives on sugar. But it has to be remembered that manuka has certain levels of acidity which makes it anti-bacterial instead of sugary concoction.
- Most importantly, it has been proven that this honey can eliminate any kind of bacteria and inhibit their growth.
- The honey penetrates into the skin and actively eliminates bacteria and heals infection.
- Since manuka honey has a hydrating factor, it doesn’t let scars develop and keeps skin beautiful.
Usage of Manuka Honey For Acne
Manuka honey- nature’s gift for beautiful skin can be applied as a mask and cleanser. Some of its external usages have been mentioned here:
Honey mask for acne
One of the primary usages of manuka honey for acne is using to as a facial mask. Honey mask for acne is very effective to remove impurities and tenderness due to acne. You can make a mix of manuka honey along with jojoba oil and apply as a facial mask for half an hour. Remove it to discover clean radiant face. Gradually this mask helps in clearing the pores and making it even.
Honey as Face Cleanser
Honey is an excellent skin cleanser and Manuka honey is the best amongst all of them. To apply honey as a facial cleanser, you need to follow these steps:
- This honey is thick, so make sure you have your hair combed and tied at the back to avoid sticking.
- Splash warm water on your face to open the pores, after removing your makeup.
- Take the required amount of honey and smear on your face gently in a circular motion.
- Gently massage it evenly with your finger tips and keep it on for 5 minutes.
- After that, again take warm water and wash the honey off your face.
- Now use normal cold water to wash your face. This will close the open pores of the skin.
- Done regularly, it will clean dirt off your facial skin and keep it healthy.
Honey as a scar remover
It is already known how therapeutic manuka honey is for alleviating skin problems. Well, the ugly marks left by the acne can be very hard to deal with. Honey can be used for treating those marks to some extent but it will probably take some time to show positive effects.
Best remedy for acne scars is to prevent scarring in the first place. If you do not tamper with the acne and keep your hands off it, ugly marks can be avoided to a great extent. Apply this honey in the beginning to remove infection so that it doesn’t lead to scars. For the blemishes already present, you can apply the honey for a certain period and check whether it is really working. Some positive effects are surely to be seen if applied with consistency.
Choose the best Manuka Honey
Among piles of honey being sold in the market, how can you identify the best for your skin? In order to obtain optimum results, you must be able to identify genuine manuka honey with the highest content of UMF (described earlier). As suggested by the Unique Manuka Factor Honey Association, only those certified by them can be called genuine. By identifying their trademark honey you can be assured of buying the right product. These are priced higher than ordinary honey, but when it is
about genuine product, price can never be an issue. Make sure to check out the official logo of UMF before buying the product.
Natural ingredients have no possible side effects in most of the cases unless their path is crossed by certain medications or substance in human body. Before ingesting Manuka honey, it is best to take proper guidance from a medical practitioner. Apart from that, It is excellent when used externally as evident from the discussion above. Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties make it highly suitable for addressing acne. However, one should not ignore the underlying causes of manuka honey acne and treat it accordingly.