What is Acne Vulgaris?
Acne Vulgaris, known by other names like acne or cystic acne, is a prevalent skin disease which is manifest in the form of pimples, red patchy skin and nodules which might result in blemishes. Around 80% of the entire American population experiences this skin condition during their lifetime. Skin may turn red and scaly, painful pimples crop up along with black/white heads and pinheads. This leaves embarrassing scars which may also jeopardize a person’s feeling of well-being and confidence.
Acne attacks skin on the face, back and chest (upper part), as these regions are filled with close knit sebaceous follicles from which oil is secreted. To know about the various symptoms, causes and treatment of this skin ailment, read on.
Know the symptoms of Acne Vulgaris
Acne can be characterized by:
- Appearance of small pimples, not just on face but upper part of the body.
- Scaly reddish skin.
- White and blackheads, that too survives on greasy skin.
- Nodules, which can often turn painful in the form of cysts.
- Excess oil accumulation on face with sweating leading to acne.
- Blemishes, left by scratches is common.
Sometimes acne vulgaris can even last a lifetime recurring often, while in some cases it can lessen in months or years. In initial phase, skin develops blackheads and whiteheads but in worse cases skin gets infested with hundreds of dangerous pimples. When such pimples arise, they might get infected and form cystic lesions. Ugly and large lesions are extremely tender, leaving deep scars on the skin.
Diagnosis Of Acne Vulgaris
Examinations are done to determine the causes which might be ingrained in the skin. It can be a tumor or some other growth which is explored via tests. Often treatment doesn’t impact patients positively, in such cases skin lesion culture is performed.
Overview of Acne Vulgaris Causes
Studies suggest that Acne is born out of hair follicles which are composed of sebaceous gland and hair. When androgen levels rise, oil glands grow and become very active producing excess oil. This happens after reaching puberty. Growth of the glands produces excess sebum which nourishes bacterial growth. Bacterial intervention damages follicle walls which make the contents inside the follicle to move into the dermis, causing pimples, nodules or pustules.
Genetic reasons have also been indicated for the growth of acne. There might be a tendency to develop acne in families which gets transferred to the next generation. Acne is also common to pregnant women, as they undergo hormonal changes. Acne Vulgaris can become severe with the consumption of milk. Glycemic rich diet is often blamed to cause acne.
Treatment of Acne Vulgaris
Steps to treat Acne Vulgaris have been represented below:
Mild Acne Vulgaris treatment:
- Mild acne is suffered by most of the people and this can be addressed with medications available over the counter. They can be obtained as soaps, lotions, gels, creams and pads. These topical medicines contain ingredients like:
Benzoyl Peroxide- It has the power to stop oil secretion by regulating the glands and eliminating bacteria. It helps in peeling off dead skin by unblocking pores that gradually
strikes off the bacteria.
Retin-A: It contains Tretinoin which is beneficial in eliminating clogged pores.
Resorcinol: This crystalline phenol is used effectively against dandruff, psoriasis, whiteheads and blackheads.
All these ingredients are proven to be effective in reducing the symptoms but if rashes or irritation persist, it is always advisable to consult a professional.
Severe Acne Vulgaris Treatment:
- This situation is best handled by skin specialist who can devise a treatment plan with the help of prescribed medications.
One of the treating options includes administration of antibiotics. This is done for worse cases when topical as well as oral antibiotics like Tetracycline and Erythromyocin are required to curb the growth of bacteria and ease the irritation.
To prevent scars by the bursting of acne cysts, an injection can be applied. To treat inflamed and ruptured acne if such types, diluted corticosteroid is injected.
It has been observed that by taking oral contraceptives, hyperactive gland is suppressed which helps in reducing acne.
In order to get rid of the scars, several treatments are done:
Microdermabrasion involves the blowing of abrasive substances like aluminum oxide and vacuuming it with an instrument on the affected skin. This is a simple process which needs no hospitalization.
Usage of Dermabrasion, laser resurfacing and chemical peels to get rid of scars are also common.
Subcision is the process of treating deep scars, in which a needle is pierced through the skin to rummage the subcuticular fibrotic strands. This liberates the skin off the deep-seated connective tissue.
Apart from medications and surgical procedures, diet therapy has also been considered to be useful in reducing acne. By avoiding junk food and adopting a stress free life, this issue can be tackled to some extent.
Tips to reduce Vulgaris Causes using Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, every ailment is treated from the roots. Some of the tips to reduce the occurrence of acne are:
- In case of mild symptoms, you can apply a paste made of curd, turmeric and chickpea flour and apply on the affected area.
- To reduce the growth of pimples, a paste made of red sandalwood and nutmeg is very useful.
- For a quick remedy, apply a paste of fennel seeds, milk and lemon juice overnight to see wonderful results soon after.
Tips to lessen ill effects of Acne Vulgaris
It is difficult to prevent acne in totality but some measures can be adopted to reduce the impact of this condition and prevent its worsening. Take a look:
- Do not let sweat sit on acne prone areas, wash off immediately after strenuous activities.
- It is important to follow a gentle skin cleansing regime every day, without scrubbing ruthlessly on the affected areas.
- Do not touch your face with dirty hands too often.
- Avoid oily products like gel, creme based styling products and pomades.
- It is better to stay away from chemicals and oils.
- While shaving be cautious to use safety razors, or better still use electric shaver.
- Do not let your hair fall on your face and shampoo it to eliminate oil from it.
- Wearing soft breathable fabrics below rough sports clothing help the skin to relax and lessen instances of infection.
- Never ever rupture the pimples as infection might spread rapidly.
- Wash your hands and try to keep them clean.
- Always remove any sort of makeup.
- Use makeup which spells nonacnegenic on the label, this will keep the pores open.
- Avoid oily and chilled food. Have a balanced diet with loads of green vegetables, fresh fruits, water.
- Use products with tea-tree oil as it kills bacteria present in pores of the skin.
- Follow the instructions of skin care products and do not over-use them as it might trigger acne.
What worsens Acne Vulgaris?
Some of the factors increasing the complexities of the condition are:
- Humid climates
- Oily hair
- Menstrual cycle
- Oily makeups
- Pimple rupturing
Proper food lessens insulin levels which is helpful in averting acne vulgaris. More studies are being conducted in this regard on how to prevent vulgaris acne. Following a healthy lifestyle keeps the system clean which also shows externally.